[SML] Audio from landline phone mic

mouse at fieldmousepro.com mouse at fieldmousepro.com
Mon Oct 16 20:58:08 UTC 2023

Yep, telephone hybrids are still very much in use for the broadcast TV
world. Getner was one of the more popular brands, and they're often
called "Getners" as shorthand.

However, they might be overkill for what this situation needs. Since
there's no requirement to have a 2-way conversation on the telephone
line, the nulling electronics of the hybrid aren't needed.

An alternative you could try is to simply hook up the microphone wires
of the phone to your audio console & see if it sounds decent enough for
your use. If you have an older phone with no electronics, you can
connect the two phone wires from the normal phone line jack (the center
two wires of the 4 or 6 pin RJ connector). That way, the handset cradle
switch will cut off the mic when it's on-hook.

If that doesn't work, or if the phone needs power (48v DC), a simpler
way is to hook up the wires that come from the handset itself. There
will be 4 wires on the smaller RJ connector. 2 will go to the mic, and 2
will go to the speaker. I can't remember the standard pinout, but it
won't be hard to figure out which is which using a little trial & error.
You won't hurt anything if you hook up to the speaker instead of the
mic. Depending on the style of mic on the handset, you might even get
better audio from the speaker. Just swap the mic & speaker in the
handset if they're the same size.

Anyway, those are some extra options to consider if you like.

Stephen

On 2023-10-16 2:32 pm, John Taylor via Stagecraft wrote:

> Long ago before Zoom we would have large conferences where they would
> have someone who called in and we did the audio from the phone into the
> main sound system There are a number phone hybrid units but to buy them
> there are expensive. Check with your local AV Rental houses.  One of
> them should have a box to rent you. You will need to run phone line to
> the phone but that is the easiest and best way to do it.
>
> JT
>
> On 10/16/2023 1:22 PM, Matthew Whiton via Stagecraft wrote:
>
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I'm doing a show where we want a character to pick up a landline phone
>> to make an in-store announcement as one does in retail. Is there a
>> safe and straightforward way to get audio from the phone's internal
>> mic, or am I better off trying to hide a lav mic on the handset. or C.
>> none of the above.
>>
>> Many Thanks for your help.
>> Matt
>>
>> Matt Whiton