[SML] Thanks for previous input & seeking input on suitability of Elation FUZE WASH Z120s

Steven Mclean stevenjmclean at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 19:59:48 UTC 2023

Hey, thanks to everyone who provided advice over the last couple months as
I work out the kinks in the lighting at the educational theatre that I now
oversee at Grand View University in Des Moines Iowa.

Turns out that the 120 circuits in the theatre had nothing to do with
dimmer doubling and everything to do to hooking circuits above 96 directly
to dimmers 1 through 24.  I relabled the circuits on the catwalks to
reflect that 97 was REALLY 1, & 98 was Really 2, etc...

The sockets in many of my Fresnel fixtures WERE toast.  I found
replacements online and have had success replacing 6 of them so far.  I may
have as many as 10 to 20 left to rehabilitate.

I also found that many of the sockets in the several S4 ellipsoidals had
burning issues & replaced a couple of those so far as well.

However, what I really seek advice on is about the Elation FUZE Z120
fixtures.  I am putting together a capital request (over $5000) for
lighting and as you probably surmise from the inventory that I have
related, our lighting situation is somewhat basic.  I DO have 6 ETC LINEARs
& 2 ColorSource PARS (not sure what all can be done with just 2 of these),
but our ability to isolate and highlight a variety of theatrical moments in
a single play are limited by the current technology.

We have an ETC Element board with 2 DMX universes and I have experience at
a small theatre in Florida with the FUZE WASH Z120s which were very handy
for just the type of thing that I contemplate.

The first question revolves around the fact that that theatre only had a
10' grid & was something like 30' deep & 40' wide when in thrust.  My
current theatre has a 16' grid, but only a 20'x 30 ' thrust playing area
for the stage.  Frankly, I found that the throws in the first theatre were
usually too shallow, but I wonder if the slightly steeper but still longer
throws in my new space might be too much for the light output of the
Z120s.  Thoughts

Also, since the ELEMENT doesn't have encoders, I wonder how arcane focusing
these might be using the ML tab on the board.  (I have used the ML tab to
select color for the Linears & the ColorSource PARs,  but didn't really see
how focusing moving lights is accomplished.

Frankly, I am concentrating on the Z120s because of the current relatively
low price which should allow me to source 6 or more on this request.  If
others have any opinions of options or cautionary tales, I'd like to know.

Thanks,
--
Steven J McLean
515-480-8461