[SML] ETC Sensor Dimmer rack running 120 circuits

Steven Mclean stevenjmclean at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 03:41:41 UTC 2023

Bill,
Thanks for the response.  You are right that we have 1 sensor rack
featuring  48 modules/ 96 dimmers.  We also have a separate small rack
containing 5 D15E modules & 1 other (maybe CC15)  module.  The first 5
modules are labled dmx 97 through 106.  The CC15 module is not labeled with
 dmx address .  Connected to this small rack is an etc branded
architectural box containing what may be 12 relays.  These are labeled with
numbers picking up with  109 through 120.

When I patch the control board 1 to 1 Channel to dmx address and with each
channel type identified as “Dimmer”,  the board apparently controls the
first 96 labeled circuits on the catwalks.  When we get to channel/address
97,  the board seems to pick up exactly as labeled on the smaller panels.

The catwalk circuits continue with 24 circuit/dimmer? Numbers 97 through
120. These circuits do NOT activate through  these addresses. I have yet to
determine if they are merely duplicate outlets for some the circuits 1
through 96.  However, they are not labeled thus.

I BELIEVE that the ETC dimmers were retro-fit into the venue, replacing an
earlier dimming system as early as the mid-90s.  Therefore,  the labels on
the circuits either pre-date that and have not been re-labeled in the
intervening 30 years OR the system is somehow set up (perhaps through
dimmer doubling) to address these circuits discretely (and there was no
need to re-label).

Now,  IF dimmer doubling IS the explanation then we are NOT employing the
cable-wye/ dongle, but must have some flavor of module capable of
dimmer-doubling internally.  I have seen hint of this possibility in
various comments and documentation that I have accessed online,  but no
clear explanation of how such a system is identified or addressed by an etc
console.

This is further confused by the fact that as II understand it,  dimmer
-doubling only works when fixtures employ special, half-voltage  (66 or 77v
as mentioned by Stephe Lee) lamps that are as I recall only available for
ETC gear.  We DO have SOME S-4 fixtures,  but we ALSO  have a LOT of
Fresnel fixtures of indeterminate manufacture using BTH lamps.  Nowhere in
inventory can I find any 77v HPL lamps for the ETC inventory, nor any
equivalent voltage option for the BHT lamps for the Fresnels.

So, I continue to be puzzled.