[SML] Colleges and the arts

Jon Ares jonares at arescreative.com
Sun Sep 24 21:09:13 UTC 2023

Well, fewer people going to college (right away), yes (for a variety of
reasons), but also fewer people doing the "go to a distant college, live on
campus, and immerse in the campus culture." Many are still getting degrees,
but not in the "traditional," on-campus way.  Also, many have realized
"Prestigious U" doesn't always translate to Prestigious Pay.

 - Jon

On Sun, Sep 24, 2023 at 12:37 PM Bill Conner via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> Well, I went to a NY state school, and it's clear which party is in power
> - I believe the Dems overwhelming control all branches of state government.
> Guessing not what you thought.
>
> I don't know exact numbers but this particular college was running like a
> $10m deficit for some years with a total budget of $25m or so.  Their also
> cutting iirc physics, computer science, Spanish, .... a total of 14
> programs.
>
> At least 2 other colleges that closed their doors in NY this year and more
> expected.
>
> It's not so much political as financial and fewer people going to
> college.  Such a mistake - in hindsight - to have eliminated vocational ed
> at the high school level and tell everyone to go to college.
>
> On Sun, Sep 24, 2023, 1:49 PM Phil Johnson via Stagecraft <
> stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
>
>> It would be interesting but not surprising to see what political party is
>> in power in those states where arts are being chopped. (Probably not
>> surprising though)
>>
>> Phil Johnson
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone

Jon Ares