[SML] Air Brakes/Casters

Dale Farmer dale at cybercom.net
Sat Jan 27 03:03:38 UTC 2024

On 1/26/2024 10:31 AM, Rick Clever via Stagecraft wrote:
> Hello Stagecrafters,
>
> I have finally had a chance to play with pneumatic caster mechanisms
> and am starting to put together a system. I have noticed that in a lot
> of the pictures I have seen the air tanks only have a regulator and no
> filter. Is this standard? Should I have a filter inline to keep
> moisture out of the lines or are these for such short term use,
> moisture is not an issue?

For a storage air tank on a mobile set piece that you are refilling from
a shop air system, the air should already be fairly well dehumidified
and free of dust.  The condensation will be happening in the shop air
storage tank and there should be a filter on the shop air system.    So,
I wouldn't worry about it much.

Moisture is a problem if the piping is in a below freezing area.  Air
for spray painting needs to be much cleaner, oil and water free.   For
an air brake or air caster system on stage, regular tool air should be
fine.  You might wish to put a drain at the bottom of your air storage
tank, and bleed out any residual moisture that accumulates there.

Dale