[SML] AITA

Steve Shelley shelley at fieldtemplate.com
Tue Mar 5 14:45:53 UTC 2024

Hi Herrick:

As others have said, if you’ve agreed to “educate some youths and design a concert of Chess” then you’re part of the faculty. What concerns me is what I see as a lack of technical support. None of the rest of the Faculty seem to have any titles related to production management, technical direction, or production crew heads. Presumably you’re going to be in charge of the Tech labs in the mornings [since there doesn’t seem to be anybody else,] but who is going to be overseeing all of the departments for the afternoon tech preparation? Are you alone? Eek! And, if so, does this mean you’re running the focus, running [or teaching] the console – are you also overseeing the load-in and hang?

I realize this is a concert version, but there’s still a lot going on; are you also overseeing the “Live Sound instruction” “IATE Union history” [yes that’s the spelling offered,] and the “how to’s”? and then overseeing the complete installation of all technical elements of this rodeo?

I have performed this kind of contract in the past, and having the opportunity to change electricians every work call and teach some new kid how to run [or just playback] on the console is pretty exhausting.

This might be the time to quickly acquire a contact sheet, or determine who has been the “industry professionals” in the past, and determine what’s really going on and what will be expected from you. Also, determine your housing and how far away from your room the bar is.

Good luck!

Steve