[SML] Ratio of exit doors to audience?

Dale Farmer dale at cybercom.net
Wed Mar 6 01:12:41 UTC 2024

It's a local building code situation.  Building code books usually are
hiding behind paywalls online so can't really help you there.    Reach
out to the venue TD and local fire inspector with some strawman
proposals to look at and see what they say.   If the door is blocked by
scenery, then it is lost for fire escape calculations.   Doors blocked
by pipe and drape are still viable, but figure on hanging some
additional exit signs in front of the pipe and drape so the public can
see them at need.
    Fire escape calculations are complicated, Maximum occupancy, number
and width of doors, length of hallways behind those doors, bends and
stairs on the route to an exterior doorway all enter into it.  If you
fall into the rathole of having to do that, and are anywhere close to
the edge of the envelope, you are gonna attract much more attention from
the inspector in all the other aspects of the gig.

Dale