[SML] Ratio of exit doors to audience?

Bill Conner billconnerastc at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 23:43:32 UTC 2024

In the IBC (2021 - but this hasn't changed in quite a while):

"1005.3.2 Other egress components.
The capacity, in inches, of means of egress components other than stairways
shall be calculated by multiplying the occupant load served by such
component by a means of egress capacity factor of 0.2 inch (5.1 mm) per
occupant."

"other" is simply not stairs - which is 0.3

LifeSafety Code (I have 2024 in my lap - NFPA does not allow cutting and
pasting) its section 7.3.3 Egress Capacity and table 7.3.3.1
Capacity Factors and is also 0.2" for all but healthcare occupancies.

If you do this a lot, it would make sense to develop a relationship with a
fire protection engineer.  They'd be quicker and do better in front of a
building official fire marshal.  I would assume you could build that into
a fee structure or simply pass along to client?

Both codes are clear: you can't put pipe and drape or any obstructions in
front of a door out.  (I'm pretty certain the door you want to block is not
an "emergency exit door" in code terms - probably an exit access door - and
you lose credibility with some authorities for getting things wrong - a
special kind of political correctness.)

I think I'd ask authorities about covering an exit sign that is for an exit
that is not usable, but I would encourage doing that.  But not too big of a
deal.  From a little personal experience and reading lots of forensic
reports, people behave pretty smartly in an emergency egress situation,
contrary to claims of "panic" and the cinematic representations.

On Wed, Mar 6, 2024 at 3:48 PM Kristi R-C via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> Nope! Never touch ‘em except to re-lamp if needed.
>
> On Wednesday, March 6, 2024, 10:42:01 AM CST, Jim VOGEL via Stagecraft <
> stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
>

> So your saying take the sign down if you want to block the door?
>

> 😊

Bill Conner Fellow of the ASTC