[SML] In house mix location

Jon Ares jonares at arescreative.com
Mon Mar 25 18:47:58 UTC 2024

On Mon, Mar 25, 2024 at 11:10 AM Bill Conner via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
> So my question is how viable or feasible is in house sound control via a wireless tablet, as has been suggested (usually by architects who don't like the look of in house mix positions.)?  I just don't believe sitting in a seat with a tablet can replace sitting in a seat with a full console yet. Or has that day arrived?

It's a terrible idea. We sometimes have a 2nd audio person with a
tablet, paying attention to monitors, or moving around the room
fiddling with EQ while in rehearsals, but it's not uncommon for it to
temporarily drop its connection, or get laggy, or just plain have the
tablet/app crash.  Very unreliable, if that were how you were
operating the sound board.

Also, what about the connections to their QLab (or other) DAW? Or
phone? Or CD player? Reel-to-reel? Turntable? Wax cylinders?

--
Jon Ares
www.arescreative.com