[SML] In house mix location

mouse at fieldmousepro.com mouse at fieldmousepro.com
Mon Mar 25 21:35:54 UTC 2024

The simple answer to your question is no. Wireless tablets are not a
replacement for a proper booth space along with a physical mixer that is
large enough to accommodate the events that are regularly held there.
The line being argued by the teacher you mentioned is nothing more than
a new take on the same old lines of thinking that we've fought for
decades.

There have always been forces that try to relegate technicians to back
corners, enclosed booths, broom closets, and even moving them to
entirely different buildings. What's missing in that line of thinking is
always the same: The technicians are an integral artistic part of the
production, creating and modifying their part of the show
moment-by-moment, based upon the performers, the environment of the
venue, and the audience themselves. The best audience experiences come
from giving the technicians the opportunity to become an audience member
as closely as possible, seeing and hearing exactly what the rest of the
audience sees and hears, while hiding them enough that their actions
aren't distracting to the other audience members.

Wireless tablets are indeed a valuable tool for being able to easily
make adjustments in different areas of the venue. However, none of the
tablets have enough useable controls to replace a real, physical console
for anything more than the most basic of events. Complex events such as
musical shows, those with cues that need to be timed, having stage
monitors or in-ears that need to be adjusted by someone other than the
performer, ones with multiple inputs or any type of dynamic performances
all require physical faders, knobs, and buttons that can be moved in a
rapid, accurate, and easy manner. Many actions are done on-the-fly with
fractions of a second to decide and implement them. Small, featureless
touch screens are too cumbersome to use effectively for complex moves or
over a large number of controls. The lack of tactile controls prevents
the operator from implementing the numerous subtle and repeatable moves
that are required.

Additionally beyond the use of a mixer, an audio engineer almost always
needs to interface with other gear. Whether for playback, intercom,
recording, wireless receivers, video monitors, or just looking at notes,
a tablet can't replace every function. Plus, technicians are people;
they need space to place things and organize a workspace so they can do
their jobs the best way.

Seen in this light, the square footage of the technician's working space
is easily the most valuable in the entire venue; worth far more than the
simple number of paid seats that might be placed there instead. The
reason? If a patron has a bad experience, the exposure is limited to
their ticket and a possible refund. If a technician can't do their job
well, it effects *every* patron in the audience and degrades the
production as a whole. A fight to give the technicians the resources
they need is a fight to sustain the quality of the entire production.

Stephen