[SML] Fixing DMX Cables

Stuart Wheaton sdwheaton at fuse.net
Thu Mar 28 15:34:37 UTC 2024

Kristi,

I respectfully disagree, and calling soldering a DMX cable "Fixing
electrical equipment" as if it is a 3 phase 480 volt distro is laughable.

Everyone starts somewhere, and fixing a damaged signal level cable is
about as benign as you can get.  it is easy to test, and if you do it
wrong, the worst case issue is that it won't work. It has very little
chance of damaging any commercially made gear out there, since they are
almost always opto-isolated, the voltages are in the 3.3-5 volt range,
and your kitchen stove creates a bigger burn hazard than the needed
soldering iron.

Ross, this is theatre tech 101, you CAN do it, it is safe, it is pretty
easy and yes, it will probably take you 2 or 3 tries before you get good
enough at it that you have a useable repair.  But since you have a
failed cable now, you have nothing to lose.  Open it up and look at the
way the connections were made, note which wire went to which pin on the
plug, then chop that cable right before the melted part, get a new
connector, and give it a shot! If anyone you know has done it before ask
them to teach you, otherwise the university of youTube is your friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS1gZ7zbvsM

Just keep the solder out of your mouth, wear eye protection, and don't
pick the soldering iron up by the hot end.

You are in a position to learn a new and valuable skill, and Stuart's
Motto is any skill you don't have is a skill you cannot sell.

Stuart