<div dir="ltr"><div dir="ltr"><div class="gmail_default" style="font-family:"times new roman",serif"><br></div></div><br><div class="gmail_quote gmail_quote_container"><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><br><br>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2026 02:35:16 +0000 (UTC)<br>
From: Joe D <<a href="mailto:jdunfee12@yahoo.com" target="_blank">jdunfee12@yahoo.com</a>><br>
To: Stagecraft Mailing List <<a href="mailto:stagecraft@theatrical.net" target="_blank">stagecraft@theatrical.net</a>><br>
Subject: <span class="gmail_default" style="font-family:"times new roman",serif"></span>[SML] Skinning flats for outside?<br>
Message-ID: <<a href="mailto:169320673.2204454.1790822116349@mail.yahoo.com" target="_blank">169320673.2204454.1790822116349@mail.yahoo.com</a>><br>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"<br>
<br>
I am making a puppet stage enclosure that looks like a circus train car. This will be used for performances out in the weather for 2 months.<br>
Like all the walls, the roof will be framed, and then skinned with 1/4" ply. I expect to use a heavy-duty tarp on the roof, and wrap the sides of the tarp around the edges.<br>
The side walls need to be painted, and needs a smooth surface. I might use lauan, and expect the paint to protect from moisture well enough for the 2 months. But, I wonder if there might be other options.<br>
I know fiber board is not viable, because of its moisture sensitivity.<br>
Corrugated plastic is not prohibitive in cost, and I can get a base color close to what I want to use to paint the sides. But, I don't like the slight corrugated surface look, nor do I know if paint will stick.<br>
I was looking at the "Fiberglass reinforced plastic" panels with a smooth surface. But the mfg says it doesn't suggest painting it.<br>
Any thoughts about building sets for outside?,?<br>
-Joe<br><br>
</blockquote></div><div><br clear="all"></div><div><div class="gmail_default" style="font-family:"times new roman",serif">BCX plywood (the X means exterior grade) should hold up well if painted.</div><div class="gmail_default" style="font-family:"times new roman",serif"><br></div><div class="gmail_default" style="font-family:"times new roman",serif">If you can go with corrugated, you might try something like roofing panels, which are available in colors.</div><div class="gmail_default" style="font-family:"times new roman",serif"><br></div><div class="gmail_default" style="font-family:"times new roman",serif">What season and location might help as well. Weatherproof in Seattle and weatherproof in Las Vegas are two very different things.</div><br></div><span class="gmail_signature_prefix">-- </span><br><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_signature"><div dir="ltr"><div style="color:black;background-color:transparent;font-family:sans-serif"><span style="background-color:transparent"><span style="background-color:transparent">“An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.”</span></span><br style="background-color:transparent"><span style="background-color:transparent"><span style="background-color:transparent">— Jeff Cooper</span></span></div></div></div></div>