[SML] house light control systems recommendations needed

e-mail frank.wood95 frank.wood95 at ntlworld.com
Wed Dec 3 23:35:23 UTC 2014

One missing point from all the posts seems to be what happens in an
emergency. I think it important that the House Manager, who is in
charge of evacuation, has a control which does two things. First, it
turns on the house lights to full, and second, it disables all other
controls.

We have had such a system for fifty years, and the only problem we
have had is that the override switch is sometimed to light up the
auditorium for visitors..A standard intem in the LX operator's
checklist is to ensure that they have the control available ontheir
fader before the audience is admitted.

On 3 December 2014 at 22:12, Bill Conner via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
> Andrew-
>
> I've been watching this and surprised by how few responses but my
> observation is, turning on 4-8 systems a year - Paradigm (ETC's Unison
> line) is your best choice,  No one in a digital age deals with sliders
> very well, so if you could see your way to no sliders - just buttons
> and touch screen - I think you'd be happier.  Last action takes
> precedence just doesn't feel right top theatre people, always a game
> of "who has control".  We do put a slider page or two on the touch
> screen which is a little easier - they all follow like motorized
> faders - but not like analog days with nice sliders and take controls.
>
> But Philips VisionNET works - plan some extra time and fight for an
> A-list tech for turn-on and beware the defaults it ships with.
> Fleenor is not bad for smaller rooms.I have little hands on experience
> with others but not many think like theatre - better suited to
> restaurants and such IMHO.
>
> --
> Bill Conner Fellow of the ASTC

Frank Wood