[SML] DMX through TRS plugs?

Lou Poppler loupoppler at cableone.net
Sat Dec 6 19:29:58 UTC 2014

On 12/6/14, Stuart Wheaton via Stagecraft <stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
> Has anyone done DMX over a TRS plug?  I need to be able to do a normal
> connection so that when the last unit in a chain is unplugged, the line
> terminates.  I don't believe there are normalled XLR plugs (at least
> google failed me on that one) so TRS seems like the best option, has
> anyone tried it?  any other suggestions?

It's hard for me to visualize how this would even work.
If you plan to replace the connectors on each device with TRS so you
still have a true chain, it seems to me like it would be easier just
to train the crew how to terminate.
If you plan to Tee off of a TRS cable run, with adapter jumpers to
each device, it seems to me that the signal reflections and mutipath
distortions that are introduced would probably be at least as bad as
an unterminated DMX run.