[SML] DMX through TRS plugs?

e-mail frank.wood95 frank.wood95 at ntlworld.com
Mon Dec 8 19:22:38 UTC 2014

The Neutrik socket, as suggested by Joe Golden will work, as would a
TRS jack. If you go down the TRS route, I should advise using 1/4"
B-gauge jacks, if they will fit in the available space. Some varieties
of jack have many switching contacts.

Some DMX devices have a 'TERMINATE' switch fitted.

It is always important that a DMX line is correctly terminated at all
times. Any bifurcation of such a line must be done with a proper
splitter. As has often been pointed out, failure to do this can
produce highly unpredictable resilts.

On 6 December 2014 at 19:29, Lou Poppler via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
> On 12/6/14, Stuart Wheaton via Stagecraft <stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
>> Has anyone done DMX over a TRS plug?  I need to be able to do a normal
>> connection so that when the last unit in a chain is unplugged, the line
>> terminates.  I don't believe there are normalled XLR plugs (at least
>> google failed me on that one) so TRS seems like the best option, has
>> anyone tried it?  any other suggestions?
>
> It's hard for me to visualize how this would even work.
> If you plan to replace the connectors on each device with TRS so you
> still have a true chain, it seems to me like it would be easier just
> to train the crew how to terminate.
> If you plan to Tee off of a TRS cable run, with adapter jumpers to
> each device, it seems to me that the signal reflections and mutipath
> distortions that are introduced would probably be at least as bad as
> an unterminated DMX run.

Frank Wood