[SML] house light control systems recommendations needed

Bill Conner billconnerastc at gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 22:16:32 UTC 2014

It appears that many struggle with poorly designed or implemented
house light controls. We usually provide full control both at or
adjacent to normal light board op position and backstage at something
that seems like a usable sm position. There are lots of local stations
for those zones but we generally offer the users the option of a lock
out that disables all local stations in public areas, but like to be
sure there is a means for a house manager or someone else to activate
emergency mode - the explosion in control booth or for the gun
shooting or similar emergency out if sight board op. Varies a lot on
who is where but having a very young and inexperienced board op as a
critical link in an emergency may not be good planning. And of course
if after hearing our concerns the Owner prefers what we don't
recommend, we make it happen and send a simple letter as a record if
the Owner not following our recommendations.

FWIW, we find many places prefer to control all house and work lights
on condole for performance, and that is easy to make happen (or no if
that is the owners choice.)

Aisle lighting is pretty woefully implemented in my observation.  I'd
guess that at least half of the auditoriums in the US do not have the
code required illumination.

Mind the gap.

--
Bill Conner Fellow of the ASTC