[SML] house light control systems recommendations needed

e-mail frank.wood95 frank.wood95 at ntlworld.com
Sun Dec 7 20:03:06 UTC 2014

I agree with Bill Conner that there are many ill-designed systems.
Some of these are caused by ill-thought-out regulations, or demands of
ill-informed AHJs.

In the UK, the rules used to be straightforward. The exit boxes had to
be illuminated at all times, and a sufficient and specified lighting
level for evacuation. Both these had to be on a separate power source
from the incoming mains. Gas was once usual, and 50V batteries more
common. Local batteries in each fixture seem to be the current
fashion. The big snag is that they need to be tested on a regular
basis, which can be an organisational headache.

We are a small theatre, and an amateur theatre. Over the years, we
have lost our connection with the BBC, which provided a stock of
trained engineers working seven days a fortnight shifts who were
prepared to take the trouble to carry out the neccessary tests and
maintenance.  I am not sure that most professional theatres, either in
the UK or US, are much better organised.

For our part, the SM and LX OP have controls for the house and working
lights.The working lights are slow to start discharge lamps, and the
house lights incandescents. Both places can call an 'ON'or 'OFF'. The
House Manage can call an irrevocable 'ON' of the house lights, from a
point in the auditorium where he, or his designate, will be sitting.

The principle seems good, but it relies on trained staff. This may be
the missing element.

On 6 December 2014 at 22:16, Bill Conner via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
> It appears that many struggle with poorly designed or implemented
> house light controls. We usually provide full control both at or
> adjacent to normal light board op position and backstage at something
> that seems like a usable sm position. There are lots of local stations
> for those zones but we generally offer the users the option of a lock
> out that disables all local stations in public areas, but like to be
> sure there is a means for a house manager or someone else to activate
> emergency mode - the explosion in control booth or for the gun
> shooting or similar emergency out if sight board op. Varies a lot on
> who is where but having a very young and inexperienced board op as a
> critical link in an emergency may not be good planning. And of course
> if after hearing our concerns the Owner prefers what we don't
> recommend, we make it happen and send a simple letter as a record if
> the Owner not following our recommendations.
>

> FWIW, we find many places prefer to control all house and work lights
> on condole for performance, and that is easy to make happen (or no if
> that is the owners choice.)
>
> Aisle lighting is pretty woefully implemented in my observation.  I'd
> guess that at least half of the auditoriums in the US do not have the
> code required illumination.
>
> Mind the gap.
>
> --
> Bill Conner Fellow of the ASTC