[SML] OT: networking through 20 conductor wire from '70s?

Michael Sauder michael.sauder at gmail.com
Sun Dec 7 20:19:56 UTC 2014

On Sun, Dec 7, 2014 at 2:40 PM, Scott C. Parker via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> I'm working on adding network points in my house. The house was re-wired
> for phones sometime past, perhaps 70's, with a thick 20 conductor cable.
> Likely for mutiple phone lines. The 20 wires are color coded in pairs, etc.
> but don't appear to be twisted pairs. Any idea if this will work for whole
> house networking for computers?

It's highly unlikely those wires will work.

The best solution is to re-wire with CatX cable (Cat6a if you want to be a
little future-proof, otherwise Cat5e will work fine).

If that's too much of a hassle, the next best solution may be using
Powerline ethernet modules. These modules use the power circuits in your
home. They're usually slower than dedicated CatX, but usually faster and
more reliable than wireless. They don't always work, depending on the
home's wiring and interference from connected equipment (such as air
conditioners). Nice thing about them though is that you generally know
right away - they either work, or they don't work. Unlike WiFi, which can
be very finicky.

Haven't used them in a bit, but in the past I used NetGear with good
results: http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/powerline/

Using the coax cable may well work, I've never actually tried.

Michael

--
Michael Sauder
Email: michael.sauder at gmail.com