[SML] OT: networking through 20 conductor wire from '70s?

Dale Farmer dalesql at verizon.net
Sun Dec 7 22:33:24 UTC 2014

On 12/7/2014 2:40 PM, Scott C. Parker via Stagecraft wrote:
> Hello All,
> I'm working on adding network points in my house. The house was
> re-wired for phones sometime past, perhaps 70's, with a thick 20
> conductor cable. Likely for mutiple phone lines. The 20 wires are
> color coded in pairs, etc. but don't appear to be twisted pairs. Any
> idea if this will work for whole house networking for computers?
> I'm also thinking about using a couple of pairs for HDMI over Network
> to get a TV signal from the living room upstairs to a bedroom.
>
> Thoughts?
> I'd prefer to avoid fishing new wire everywhere. Yes, I could go
> wireless, but wire is so much faster as I have thick stone walls here
> and there.
>
> Second option is to explore Networking over Cable as the place is
> completely wired for cable.
>
> THanks, Scott

Phone cable uses twisted pair, but the twist rate in plain old phone
cables was pretty low.   Catagory 1 actually.
They did make ten pair cables, but they were pretty unusual. Commonly
you saw the single pair or two pair, with a red/green and a
yellow/black.    In the 80s up to now, two and four pair cable is
standard in residences,  with white/blue, white/orange, white/green, and
white/brown.     Offices wired with multiline phones used 25 pair gable
or 50 pair cable.    Nowadays, multiline phones are typically running on
regular ethernet UTP cables.  In the older days of the bell system,
there were also six and eleven pair cables, but these were lead
sheathed, and if you find them you rip them out and recycle them.

     I will guess that this was some kind of home wiring job done with
found cable.  So I wouldn't try to use it, except as a pulling string.

   --Dale