[SML] half scale dress forms

Richard John Archer rja10 at cornell.edu
Wed Dec 10 16:15:01 UTC 2014

Last week I posted something about this.
People from Fibre Science here are working on a project using half scale dress forms.  They need to make the forms.   They use their body scanners to get computer images then either CNC a complete form or laser cut layers and glue them up.   Their 3D printer can't build a big enough form in one shot.  They've 3D printed parts and glued them up but this is likely too expensive presently.

So…they came over looking for some thoughts on materials, adhesives for materials, or  "soft" hard coats for CNC forms.
These are dress forms so the need to be able to pin into them.

I mentioned urethane tooling foam (like they use in auto industry prototyping).  i know that's expensive.  Any idea on the best compromise of foam type (urethane, ISO, Styrene….) and density 42PCF?  20?  2?….
if we want to CNC this?  i also sent them back to their building with some Jaxsan 600 to try on their foam.

If you'd like to read about the project here's  what they were doing a couple of years ago

https://fashiontech.wordpress.com/tag/cornell-university/

Susan Ashdown, mentioned in the article, used to run the costume shop here before she got her PhD in Fibre Tech.  Some of you might know her as Susan Perkins (maiden name)…..she had photo credits in the original Ingham and Covey Costume Tech Handbook from work at Milwaukee Rep.

Off list might make more sense unless the rest of you are interested.   Anybody also on a costume list that would like to repost this inquiry?

BTW…earlier in the semester .some students used the same 3D printer to make some footlight shells.   I told them to submit to USITT …but…you know students.  They looked great ….similar to the ones from Costume Armour.

Thanks

DickA
TD, Cornell U