[SML] Rigging inspections & OSHA

Bill Conner billconnerastc at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 22:56:24 UTC 2014

Just a reminder that OSHA is intended to protect employees, so as far
as the stage and it's equipment as a whole, there are certainly items
that apply.  I was looking at a stage and the guards om the loading
bridge weren't three feet high, so I would note that as high priority
hazard.  On the other hand, under gantries and cranes, OSHA says:
"1910.179(n)(3)(vi) The employer shall require that the operator avoid
carrying loads over people."  So basically OSHA says no people under
overhead lifting and lowering.  There are a number of items that
really don't take the uniqueness and oddities of entertainment
technology into account, yet I know of no other statutory codes and
standards that apply.

To the OP, I suggest requesting a proposal or at least a scope of
services and a sample of their reports.  You should know if it's
simple visual inspection without dis-assembly or if they will operate
all rigging and potentially do what is necessary to "look inside" or
at least have a basis for proclaiming it OK or not OK.  Finally, watch
out for too many disclaimers, for then you will have paid for nothing.

If I were hiring a company that also services and installs the
equipment to inspect a rigging system, I would expect that in addition
to the inspection, they would make minor adjustments - tightening a
few bolts unless it was endemic, balancing sets, etc.

And finally, if the building does not have access - a gridiron of some
sort and loading bridge - they inspector better plan for an adequate
lift to get close to gear.  That may cost you more - to provide or
reimburse for lift rental - but loft blocks through binoculars all
look the same.

And if you'd like, I have a spec for a "stage rigging inspection" I
prepared for a client - a kind f put up or shut up after I said they
should plan for annual inspections.  Email me - at bill at bcaworld.com -
and I'll send it to you.

--
Bill Conner Fellow of the ASTC