[SML] Theater Festivals

e-mail frank.wood95 frank.wood95 at ntlworld.com
Sat Dec 13 00:05:37 UTC 2014

PLAN IT! Down to every last detail. Can you get your set and costumes
to the loading bay? Will your set fit on the stage? (Don't laugh, I
have seen problems.) Is there enough power for the lighting rig you
are touring, or do you have to rely on the in-house rig?

Our theatre, although an amateur house, has hosted many festivals,
some international and some wholly English. In all cases. liaison
between the hosts and visitors is vital. I have been overall LD for
several of them, mostly international. These do not tour a lighting
rig or a set, so you have to make provision for running however many
shows in rep. As LD, I have always devised a basic rig, which is
unalterable, and allocated the rest of the inventory according to
stated need.

This is how it looks from the other side. It is a mix of absolute
rigidity and great flexibility. But at least you should have no
language problems. Enjoy!

On 11 December 2014 at 19:32, Rick Clever via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
> I have been asked to TD a show that is going to a festival. I have
> never done this and I want to do it right. Any tips or pointer? It is
> KCACTF and I know our little show will be in the Ohio at Playhouse
> Square in Cleveland. I'm pretty sure that somebody on the list has
> toured through there and can give me some pointers on the space. Any
> help is greatly appreciated.
>
> --
> Rick Clever
> Technical Director