[SML] Grass and sand on stage

Will Leonard willthetd.stagecraft at gmail.com
Sun Dec 21 17:06:47 UTC 2014

I've done sod onstage twice. First was for Proof & we also laid 2 layers of
plastic, then a layer of homosote, the 3" of top soil, then the sod. It was
supposed to be dying, so we watered it with a Hudson sprayer & turned all
the lights on for a couple of hrs a day. The second time, it was for
Richard II, we put it in square boxes & would drag them outside during the
day because the grass was supposed to be live & lush.

For dirt we have used ground corn cob or walnut. We actually buy the media
for sand blasting because you can get it in the consistency you want (how
small you want the material). The walnut comes in a nice brown color, the
corn Cobb is pale more like sand. Depending on how fine of a particle you
buy, both are pretty flame resistant (self extinguish when flame is
removed).  You can color the corn Cobb with paint.

Hope that helps,
- Will Leonard
ATD - Alley Theatre