[SML] Audio interface recommendations for Qlab

Mick Alderson alderson at uwosh.edu
Fri Nov 7 20:35:06 UTC 2014

I am hoping to update the sound system in our theatre in the next six month. Currently we use a Mac running Qlab 1 for playback and control. The Mac is an old tower running OS 10.4, and the audio interface is an M-audio Firewire 410. The Firewire 410 has eight line outputs, of which I typically use six. We have had this setup since 2007.  The computer is getting slow and tired. My campus IT department  can provide me with a used iMac of more recent vintage. The Firewire 410 still works fine, but as old as it is apparently there are no drivers available for anything newer than OS 10.4.

I will therefore be looking for a new interface to use with a current version of Qlab. It could be either Firewire, Thunderbolt, or maybe USB 2. I would like it to be at have at least six or eight line level outputs but don't need many more. This is strictly for output use (I don't use the 410's inputs). After the last election, price will definitely be an issue. Do any of you Qlab users  have any suggestions on interfaces?

Mick Alderson
TD Fredric March Theatre
alderson at uwosh.edu