[SML] Man's Wedding Ring Gets Him Killed

Dale Farmer dalesql at verizon.net
Thu Nov 13 03:44:33 UTC 2014

On 11/12/2014 5:51 PM, Dave Vick via Stagecraft wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 2:11 PM, Jeffrey E. Salzberg via Stagecraft
> <stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
>
>> http://www.newser.com/story/198469/mans-wedding-ring-gets-him-killed.html
>
> The thing that bugs me about this story is... You need a ground path
> to complete the electrical circuit through your body; *that* is what
> puts you in danger. Just removing your jewelry isn't enough. Okay,
> sure; I can buy the guy's ring made contact with an unseen source of
> 208VAC, but where did the juice EXIT from? Was he kneeling in water?
> Was he also grabbing a metalic (grounded) drain pipe? What's the rest
> of the story?
>
> "Just take off your rings" sounds more like good advice for carpenters
> and machinists than it does for electricians, frankly, in the absence
> of other data.

Only ring related injury I ever saw myself was when I was in the navy.
There was a fire and one of my shipmates caught his wedding ring on the
dogs of a watertight hatchway while he was running to respond.   It
skinned his finger between the ring and the knuckle, and dislocated that
finger.

   We cut the ring off and bandaged him up.  He was lucky that all he
ended up with was a interesting looking scar around his finger. After
that, he kept his ring on his dog tag necklace.

    --Dale