[SML] infrared hearing systems

Riter, Andrew andrew.riter at ubc.ca
Wed Nov 26 21:42:35 UTC 2014

> > The IR was subject to interference from all the camera flashes I believe (I
> could be wrong on that, not my department).
>
> This is not allowed in any theatre I know, and for good reason. First, the puny
> flashguns built into modern cameras serve no useful purpose in a theatre,
> and second, they they completely destroy the stage lighting. If you want to
> photograph a stage performance, the only answer is fast film and wide
> aperture lenses.

Yes but, we're not strictly a theatre.  Concert Hall actually, with a good deal of our yearly business (56 events) graduations.  The common camera phone flashes may not be that bright, but the professional flash kits from the photographers, who don't want 800ASA or 1/4 sec aperture speed blurring photos, are THAT bright.

It all comes down to your definition of "performance."

Andrew M. Riter
Assistant Technical Director / Head Lighting Technician

604-822-2372
Andrew.riter at ubc.ca