[SML] infrared hearing systems

e-mail frank.wood95 frank.wood95 at ntlworld.com
Wed Nov 26 19:17:54 UTC 2014

On 26 November 2014 at 01:43, Riter, Andrew via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
> We changed our 3 venues from IR to RF years ago.  The original system was failing, so we upgraded.

IMHO, downgraded.

> (not that we have a lot of requests for them anyway)

We don't have a great demand, either. But, as the population ages and
those who have spent their youth getting their heads blown off by loud
'music' join our audiences, the demand will surely increase. There
have been some extreme levels around. I once knew a DJ who fed his
cans from a 50W stereo power amplifier. By now he will be stone deaf.

> The IR was subject to interference from all the camera flashes I believe (I could be wrong on that, not my department).

This is not allowed in any theatre I know, and for good reason. First,
the puny flashguns built into modern cameras serve no useful purpose
in a theatre, and second, they they completely destroy the stage
lighting. If you want to photograph a stage performance, the only
answer is fast film and wide aperture lenses.

> What we liked about the RF systems was:
> Headsets could be changed to different receiving frequencies, allowing for the different venues in the same building,
> AND if / when we need to do simultaneous translation, we could use our head sets on a different, compatible frequency.

The Sennheiser system allows for two channels, with this in mind.
Moreover, IR systems are strictly line-of-sight. There is no way
systems in two different spaces can interfere with each ot

> None are cheap

Indeed so..

> Andrew M. Riter
> Assistant Technical Director / Head Lighting Technician
>
> 604-822-2372
> Andrew.riter at ubc.ca

Frank Wood