[SML] Rock Singer Electrocuted on Stage

tech dept tech.dept at inbox.com
Thu Nov 27 21:08:51 UTC 2014

Time for me to surface from 'lurking mode'.
Before the early 1960's there was NO ground pin or most cases not even a grounded outlet to plug it into, so there was a paper or mylar capacitor (.1 0r 0.047 uf @600 volt) either tied from the WIDE pin of the AC mains to chassis or from the chassis to the toggle of a two position 'toggle' switch where the other two terminals were connected to each mains conductor.
I have seen maybe one or two of those capacitors short..... Toggle the wrong way, ouch.
These were used to 'pseudo earth' the chassis on EVERYTHING prior to the 1960's, with or without the switch.
Just looked up a Fender Twin and they used a 0.047/600 capacitor. Assuming 60hz that's a reactance of about 56 k ohm (and 240 volts) for a leakage current of 0.0042 amps, in the wrong position. If the amplifier is performing as it was made.