[SML] Rock Singer Electrocuted on Stage

Charlie Richmond charlie.rsd at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 21:18:19 UTC 2014

On 27 November 2014 at 13:08, tech dept via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> Time for me to surface from 'lurking mode'.
> Before the early 1960's there was NO ground pin or most cases not even a
> grounded outlet to plug it into, so there was a paper or mylar capacitor
> (.1 0r 0.047 uf @600 volt) either tied from the WIDE pin of the AC mains

actually, back then both pins were narrow so there was no polarization at
all and the capacitor (or resistor, since this was an alternative since
there was no standardization at all) was simply tied to an arbitrary AC
input wire.  This is why many products with metal chassis felt like they
were vibrating at 60Hz when you lightly touched and drew your finger across
their surface...

Some manufacturers connected a capacitor or resistor from both AC lines to
the chassis in order to split the difference.

Charlie

--
* Charlie Richmond - http://www.RichmondSoundDesign.com
<http://www.richmondsounddesign.com/>