[SML] Snow in the UK?

Pat Kight kightp at peak.org
Thu Oct 2 21:52:46 UTC 2014

Riter, Andrew via Stagecraft wrote:
> I have in image in my mind. . .
>
> By lamp, do they mean a 100w light bulb, or a real fixture (S4 in a hamster wheel)?
> (I didn't follow the earlier links) but I imagine (depending on the size of the venue), a rotating tube, with small holes, and light bulb inside could make dots fall vertically.

I'm going nuts trying to remember the term for the antique device that
did just that, only on a vertical axis - an opaque cylinder pierced with
pattners that hung over a base holding a candle (or later, lightbulb);
the rising heat rotated the cylinder to cast a moving pattern of light
and shadow on the walls (or sometimes on a translucent, fixed outer
cylinder. I vaguely recall having a pint-sized bedroom lamp based on the
principle when I was a kid.

My brain is coming up with "magic lantern," but that's an entirely
different thing. Any of the other, um, elders in the group know what I'm
talking about?

--
Pat Kight
kightp at peak.org