[SML] Snow in the UK?

e-mail frank.wood95 frank.wood95 at ntlworld.com
Thu Oct 2 22:48:36 UTC 2014

I think the effect you must be referring to is the old Strand "Tubular
Ripple". This was a 1KW tubular lamp encased in a perforated steel
tube about 4" in diameter, which rotated slowly. It worked, if used
with care.

Snow was done with a suitable effect disc fitted to a Patt252
projector. Like the similar rain effect, it seldom, if ever, worked
well.

The trouble is, as with all projected effects, that you need some
surface to focus the projection on. This usually means a very
restricted throw for the projector. Depending on the set, it might be
possible to rig a mirror of stretched, plastic mirror film to lengthen
the throw. A diverter mirror should be used on the projector lens, as
projector lamps have a low tolerance of being other than substantially
vertical.

This is old-fashioned advice, as it is many years since I have been
called on for such an effect. A snow cloth is usually the best answer,
but sweeping up afterwards is always a PITA, especially if you want to
re-use the snow. You should not use it over the actors. I remember a
production of "Pickwick" when the principal singer inhaled a mouthful
during one of the big numbers. I shall not tell you what he said to
the SM!

On 2 October 2014 22:52, Pat Kight via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> Riter, Andrew via Stagecraft wrote:
>>
>> I have in image in my mind. . .
>>
>> By lamp, do they mean a 100w light bulb, or a real fixture (S4 in a
>> hamster wheel)?
>> (I didn't follow the earlier links) but I imagine (depending on the size
>> of the venue), a rotating tube, with small holes, and light bulb inside
>> could make dots fall vertically.
>

> I'm going nuts trying to remember the term for the antique device that did
> just that, only on a vertical axis - an opaque cylinder pierced with
> pattners that hung over a base holding a candle (or later, lightbulb); the
> rising heat rotated the cylinder to cast a moving pattern of light and
> shadow on the walls (or sometimes on a translucent, fixed outer cylinder. I
> vaguely recall having a pint-sized bedroom lamp based on the principle when
> I was a kid.
>
> My brain is coming up with "magic lantern," but that's an entirely different
> thing. Any of the other, um, elders in the group know what I'm talking
> about?
>
> --
> Pat Kight
> kightp at peak.org