[SML] OT -Vehicle Leasing

Dave Tosti-Lane davetostilane at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 02:36:04 UTC 2014

Every time I've explored the idea of leasing, I've wound up going with a
purchase because of the mileage issue, and because I tend to keep cars for
around 10 years anyway. We have both a gas and an all electric vehicle now.

Electric works for us for a regular daily 100 mile commute that my wife
drives - but our electric has 280 mile range and charges overnight at home
- actually, at 80 Amps 240 volts, it generally takes less than two hours to
charge overnight. On a trip, the free superchargers charge even faster -
Linda needed to pick up a little extra range on a recent long trip, and
stopped at a supercharger for roughly 15 minutes to pick up over 100 miles
additional range. She's done several 400 mile trips that happily involve
routes with superchargers at the destination point.
Where the charging would drag would be on a trip where you wanted to do 800
or 1000 miles in a day, as you would need to build in 2-3 30 to 40 minute
charge stops (arguably good points for lunch and dinner, but admittedly
annoying if you really want to make tracks)

(It also does 0-60 in 5.2 seconds and handles quite well)

As a commuter though, we've found it a pretty fabulous experience - we
bought in April and Linda has around 12k miles on it already.

The tricky part is if you want to take a trip using superchargers, you need
to follow the path of their locations and plot against your range. Oh, and
it's kind of spendy - although if the range works for your regular use, the
initial cost is offset quite nicely by the less expensive daily cost, the
federal tax incentives and, depending on your location, the local tax
incentives. (but, you may be surprised to discover that your state will
probably ding you with higher licensing fees designed to collect the state
gas tax you would have been paying for an internal combustion car)

Dave Tosti-Lane