[SML] advice on some old pigment

Bruce Purdy bpurdy at rochester.rr.com
Fri Oct 10 22:43:18 UTC 2014

 Pat Kight wrote:

> Predates latex, from back in the days - my college years, for instance - when scene shops mixed their own paints using traditional artist pigments into neutral casein bases (this is not ancient history - Rosco's Iddings Deep Colors line is casein-based, and the last time I was in the local university scene shop, they still had the ingredients for mixing their own).

and  Larry added:

> You added some formaldehyde or carbolic acid to kill the bacteria and hopefully keep the paint from turning. If it turned, you and the actors were performing in a stinky set. You also added a little whiting to the size water to keep it from staining the paint. The paint was also dissolvable in water so  it would come off on the hands of sweaty stage hands. I don't miss it. As Pat said, the pigment would probably be considered hazardous waste.

	I’m curious … Whilst that pigment was originally used with Casein base - which we wouldn’t want to bring back … could it be used with latex? If, for example, you had some leftover white latex paint - could you use that pigment in it?

Bruce
-----
Bruce Purdy
Central New York Magic Theatre Co.