[SML] advice on some old pigment

Pat Kight kightp at peak.org
Fri Oct 10 23:02:01 UTC 2014

Bruce Purdy via Stagecraft wrote:

> I’m curious … Whilst that pigment was originally used with Casein
> base - which we wouldn’t want to bring back … could it be used with
> latex? If, for example, you had some leftover white latex paint -
> could you use that pigment in it?

Technically speaking, the pigment can be mixed into just about any
painting medium - artists have done so for centuries to make their own
oil paint, egg tempera, etc.

But as I noted, Chrome yellow is lead based, in very fine particles.
There's a reason scenic shops stopped using this stuff, and it's not
just that it was a mess - it's pretty toxic to be around, and certainly
to inhale. I shudder to think of how much I used to inhale when working
without respirators or even masks (enough that blowing one's nose could
be a colorful experience for days after).

--
Pat Kight
kightp at peak.org