[SML] advice on some old pigment

Richard John Archer rja10 at cornell.edu
Fri Oct 10 23:19:57 UTC 2014

> But as I noted, Chrome yellow is lead based, in very fine particles. There's a reason scenic shops stopped using this stuff, and it's not just that it was a mess - it's pretty toxic to be around, and certainly to inhale. I shudder to think of how much I used to inhale when working without respirators or even masks (enough that blowing one's nose could be a colorful experience for days after).
>
> --
> Pat Kight

I believed I've mentioned before how I always "loved" the way malachite green kept "coming back".  You wash  it off and later it would "reappear" because it had been absorbed into your skin.   It is (was?)  used as a stain for cell tissue samples because of it's ease in transversing cell membranes.

So why aren't we dead yet?

DickA
TD, Cornell U
Now old enough to know better,  but maybe not 45 years ago when painting with this stuff.