[SML] LED and projection cyc

Brooke Carlson bcarlson1 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 20:25:22 UTC 2014

On Sat, Sep 27, 2014 at 7:21 AM, Richard John Archer via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

>  If so,  are you going to see Motown the Musical at the State?  Working load in?  Watching load in next week?
>
> I'd like to know about the video screen/ projection cyc they are supposedly using and how it's been working.   No brand names for now.  Don't want hassles for any others on list.
>
> I'm looking at some video screen rentals for next spring and we are getting prices from different vendors that vary by close to 50%. (from $100k to $150k)   Different equipment but close to same  pixel pitch. (approx 5mm)    Very strange.  Some of the equipment I might expect to be cheaper is more and vice versa.   Might be looking at next less dense pixel pitch to save some $$$. (maybe 7 to 8 mm)

I am on the tour, as Dave mentioned, but I hadn't caught up with the
List in a couple of weeks...

We have two sets of automated LED posts and beams, plus two larger
panels of LED video screens.  The posts and beams are covered by white
RP material, and the panels by a dark gray RP.  The RP stands off of
the LEDs by 5/16" or 3/8", if I remember correctly.  Both do a decent
job of smoothing out the video image.

My job is to move the effects around the stage, rather than to make
the pretty pictures happen, so I don't know a whole lot about that end
of it.

If you are in the area, and want to take a look at the gear, that can
definitely be arranged, just let me know when would be good for you.

Brooke Carlson
Automation Carpenter
Motown: The Musical Nat'l Tour
917.602.5096