[SML] Windows Weirdness

Richard Niederberg ladesigners at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 21:12:14 UTC 2014

Dear Jerry,
You KNOW why so much stuff requires Windows. Many 3rd party programs
use extensive amount of code written in Windows, so they don't have to
write and debug the code required for their applications; the DOS part
is a tiny part of Windows. The 'Bloat' that is complained by some
allows programmers to get away with writing and compiling less KLOCs
[thousand lines of code] than would be otherwise be required to make
the programs they are working on, work.
/s/ Richard

On Sun, Oct 12, 2014 at 1:55 PM, Patrick McCreary via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
> If you go into Administraive Tools, you can assign drive letters at your
> will.
>
> Patrick
> On 10/11/2014 3:59 PM, Jerry Durand via Stagecraft wrote:
>
> Just had a case of Windows confusion that I hadn't seen before.
>
> Setting up a new Windows 7 Pro system Windows decided that a generic 7-port
> USB hub was actually one of our lighting controllers.  Unplugging the actual
> lighting controller didn't help, Windows still showed it as plugged in with
> the definition of a generic hub.
>
> Several bad words later, I uninstalled the devices through Computer
> Management and then plugged the hub back in, made SURE it was recognized as
> a hub, then added each device.  Seems to work now but of course the drive
> letter changed for an external drive... (grrrrr).
>
> Why is it again so much stuff requires Windows?
>
> --
> Jerry Durand, Durand Interstellar, Inc.  www.interstellar.com
> tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
> Skype:  jerrydurand

/s/ Richard
_________