[SML] Monitor systems and Universities

Stephen Litterst litterst.stagecraft at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 17:55:29 UTC 2014

On 10/23/14 1:43 PM, John McAfee via Stagecraft wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Those of you working in Universities, do you leave your performance
> space video and/or audio monitoring systems on all of the time or
> just turn them on starting at tech rehearsals?  Why or why not?  The
> specific question that has come up is about rehearsal and class
> time.

In my last job we left them on 24-7 (and I believe my replacement does
the same).
- Easy monitoring of space usage
- Too d*mn difficult to turn off (would have to kill a bunch of
interrelated systems.)
- Pleasant background music from the recital hall
- Allowed me to keep tabs on users and anticipate service needs. (If I
saw someone struggling with the projector, I could get in there to help
before they got too frustrated.)

In my new facility they are turned off when the space is not in use.
- the systems are designed to be powered down easily
- the space is *never* used without technical staff (who will turn the
systems on)
- the systems need technicians -- they aren't designed to operate
without hands-on.
- My office is attached to the tech booth, so there's no need for remote
monitoring of the space.

Hope this helps you,

Steve

--
Stephen Litterst            Technical Operations Supervisor
litterst at udel.edu           Mitchell Hall