[SML] Monitor systems and Universities

e-mail frank.wood95 frank.wood95 at ntlworld.com
Thu Oct 23 22:29:47 UTC 2014

I think that ALL student work in theatre spaces should be monitored,
at all times. Students, as a rule, do not know what they are doing.
After all, that is why they are there, to learn good practice, and
responsibility.

Once, long ago, I found my class using the 8' Bechstein piano in the
theatre as a painting stage. I shall not tell you what I said to them.
But, they didn't know any better.

It was the same during my long-ago university career. There was an 8'
Steinway in the main hall of the Student' Union, and an 8' Bechstein
in a smaller hall. Both halls had open access, except when they were
in use. Both pianos were disfigured by cigarette burns and rings from
beer glasses.

Perhaps I was 'brought up old-fashioned', but I learned to care for
things, as my parents did. The youth of today has missed out on this.

On 23 October 2014 18:55, Stephen Litterst via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
> On 10/23/14 1:43 PM, John McAfee via Stagecraft wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Those of you working in Universities, do you leave your performance
>> space video and/or audio monitoring systems on all of the time or
>> just turn them on starting at tech rehearsals?  Why or why not?  The
>> specific question that has come up is about rehearsal and class
>> time.
>

> In my last job we left them on 24-7 (and I believe my replacement does the
> same).
> - Easy monitoring of space usage
> - Too d*mn difficult to turn off (would have to kill a bunch of interrelated
> systems.)
> - Pleasant background music from the recital hall
> - Allowed me to keep tabs on users and anticipate service needs. (If I saw
> someone struggling with the projector, I could get in there to help before
> they got too frustrated.)
>
> In my new facility they are turned off when the space is not in use.
> - the systems are designed to be powered down easily
> - the space is *never* used without technical staff (who will turn the
> systems on)
> - the systems need technicians -- they aren't designed to operate without
> hands-on.
> - My office is attached to the tech booth, so there's no need for remote
> monitoring of the space.
>
> Hope this helps you,
>
> Steve
>
> --
> Stephen Litterst            Technical Operations Supervisor
> litterst at udel.edu           Mitchell Hall
> 302/831-0601                University of Delaware

Frank Wood