[SML] Preferred other than iPad?

e-mail frank.wood95 frank.wood95 at ntlworld.com
Mon Oct 27 23:44:57 UTC 2014

I still have a preference for Windows. Not that Ireally like it, but
at least I have some idea what is going on. Being old-fashioned, I'm
still running XP, and it works for me. In spite of the support having
been formally abandoned, the error reporting and updates still seem to
be working. And, I still like the access it has to DOS. I also like
the huge amount of software available, and the wide amount of
expertise available. Jim Thing down the road can often solve problems,
if I need help, although lugging a desktop to his shop is hard work.

I await Windows 9 with impatience. It seems that the even numbered
versions tend to be crap, but the odd numbers are usually OK. 8 is
often ill-spoken of, and if my antique has a terminal crash I shall
try to find a Windows 7 machine. They are still around, if you look
hard. My wife's Windows 8 laptop is beyond my understanding.

On 25 October 2014 19:24, JEA00321 via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> Appointments at most Apple Stores I have encountered just get you the next available "genius" at the bar. And you might find a Genius or two that isn't quite up to snuff, but then again, I'm guessing the vast majority of the problems they solve are things that Jerry or any number of people on the list could deal with without breaking a sweat. Certainly, some stores are better than others, but I've been to a lot of Apple stores across the country, and for the most part, I have found their sales people and Geniuses to be pretty darn friendly, helpful, and efficient. YMMV. I still think it beats the pants off the tech support option for other platforms - trying to explain your issue to some minimum wage call center employee with a checklist and an Indian accent over the phone.
>
> June Abernathy
> IATSE #321 (Tampa, FL)
> FOH Electrician
> The Lion King National Tour