[SML] Drop repair

Bill Potter bpotter at sps.edu
Wed Oct 29 14:03:03 UTC 2014

One of our Nutcracker backdrops, (Act II, Land of Sweets), was subjected to a steam bath a while back when we had a heating system fault that dumped steam into the hallway where the drop was stored. Last year, when we hung the drop, I was unable to steam (or hot water spray) out the wrinkles and sags. We’re exploring a rental for this year while we decide what to do for the long term but our Head of Dance doesn’t like any of the rental drops we’ve found.

I’m wondering what our options might be for refurbishing our existing drop. We don’t have the staff, expertise or the space to do much to it ourselves and I’m looking for someone that might be able to flattened the drop and also re-cut it to better fit our space. I don’t know if stretching and starching would help, but if anyone has recommendations of vendors that do this kind of work, I’m all ears.

The drop is in New Hampshire, but we can certainly ship it wherever.

Thanks,

Bill Potter
Arts Technical Director
St. Paul's School