[SML] Sound playback for dance

Bruce Purdy bpurdy at rochester.rr.com
Tue Sep 9 16:51:29 UTC 2014

 Bill Potter wrote:

> Any suggestions for a dual-source system? If we go to a computer based system, (we have experience with both QLab and Macs Cue), then we’ll still need a backup. I’d imagine the backup would be a CD started at the same time as the computer based sound. The other possibility would be either a dual CD player or separate CD players. Anyone know of Dual CD decks where one button can start both players?

	I would NOT recommend the CD as your backup to the computer. As you found, the CD is the most likely to mess up - far more so than the computer. If the backup fails before the primary source does, what good is it?

	Andy will likely tell you about a dual computer setup for redundant QLab. For an extended run / Broadway I can see that, but for a one-off like a dance recital I tend to think a single dedicated computer would be far more reliable than a CD with a second CD backup. I don’t ever like to rely on CD playback.

	I’m not familiar with "Macs Cue”, but if you have QLab I’d use it. Actually, however, for dance recitals I like using "Sound Byte.”
http://www.blackcatsystems.com/software/soundbyte_rack_cart_machine_radio_automation_software.html

	It will auto-pause after each track, which I find is desirable for a dance recital, but is also extremely easy to hit any individual track. This is really helpful when they want to rehearse dances in a different order than they will be presented in performance.

Bruce
-----
Bruce Purdy
Central New York Magic Theatre Co.