[SML] Voice changers.

Dale Farmer dalesql at verizon.net
Wed Sep 10 01:50:00 UTC 2014

Hi everyone.
    It's halloween season again, and I have a need for a costume
performer who uses one of those voice changer devices to provide the
character's voice.   SO far, so good.  I can get them for ten bucks
online.    However, I'd also like to have the character be able to use
the same microphone to connect to a short range radio to talk to the
other costumed characters and handlers.

     Basically, the performers can't see worth a damn in the costume,
and the wonderful little kids will mob them, pull on their tails, and
otherwise try to trip them up or yank off parts of the costumes.  So
they need to be able to call for help, or for a bathroom break, or
whatever, without their voice going out also to the voice changer.

    Currently, the performer has to use two microphones on headsets, and
press a mute button on the voice changer and press the push to talk
button on the radio.    This is inconvenient, and prone to error, so I'm
hoping someone on the list can tell me where I can buy something like
this.       I've got some ideas about hacking the microphones and
getting some kind of external relay box to do this, but would much
rather buy something off the shelf that is tested and works and costs
less than my time and parts needed to create this.

    --Dale