[SML] Digests (was Re: Thank you Noah!)

Noah Price stagecraft-web at theprices.net
Wed Sep 10 10:50:52 UTC 2014

Mick Alderson wrote:
> From a Digester's viewpoint, Digests seem have a lower size
> threshold trigger for being sent. They used to go out once
> per day or whenever they approached 100 KB. The threshold now
> appears closer to 12 to 30 KB, so they come more frequently.

That's what it felt like, but the threshold was actually 100 KB. The problem is that limit counts the full size of HTML and attachments, so it added up quite quickly with all the tests. The reason they are counted is that the optional MIME digest includes them. I increased the size threshold to 150 KB to try to handle that better, but attachments are still probably going to trigger digests. I can increase the size further.

There is also a "MIME digest" available, which has each message as an attachment inside the message, along with a summary table of contents.

Also on the digest subject, emails with digest subjects are rejected now. An email is sent back requesting posting with the original subject, or a new subject if the topic has drifted.

Noah