[SML] OT: Printer Ink

Nigel Worsley niglew at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 11 14:45:02 UTC 2014

> When the printer manufacturers warn that using third-party refills might damage my printer, is there truth to that

Only in as much as if their clever sensors can detect it then the printer may lock out to punish you. As a lot of printers cost
little more than the ink cartridges that are supplied with them there isn't a lot to lose.

> or are they just BSing so as to sell more ink (which is their real profit center).

In most cases yes. Colour balance can sometimes be a bit off though, as not all inks are of the exact same colour and saturation.

I have just taken delivery of a new colour laser, with one set of the manufacturer's starter toner cartridges and two sets of full
capacity third party ones, and all for 25% less than one full set of genuine cartridges. We did the same thing at work two years
ago, 3,000 pages later it is still working flawlessly.

Nigel Worsley