[SML] Electrical Wire thru Pulleys

Johnson, Philip Philip.Johnson at tamucc.edu
Mon Sep 15 16:49:22 UTC 2014

Are your objections to running wire through a pulley,  hanging a lantern by its wire or both?

You could rig a 12v relay and run the lantern remotely.   I've used a 12 v relay unit from Amazon and a re-purposed 12v tool battery to drive lamps that had to be run remotely.   Kill two birds,  power and switch the lamp,  hang by a sturdy and appropriate cord.

Some people might propose that it makes little difference if it's only a 12v line but it only takes one short to ruin your day.  Last time I hung fixtures in our black box I used the extension cord reels to raise and lower the power and a line to hold the fixture.   They were 120 v but they worked like a charm.  Had to open up the unit and loosen the spring a bit so it would drop nicely but it was an easy fix.   The weight of the fixture ( household dining room style light) was supported on the drop line and not the power line.   Much safer (although bulkier) than running power through a pully.

On Sep 15, 2014, at 11:19 AM, mburris via Stagecraft <stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> Am I overreacting by remaining staunchly opposed to this approach?  Is there a cable suitable to the task?  The lanterns will be 12 volt pulling maybe up to ten watts.

Philip Johnson
Lighting Designer/Technical Director
Texas A&M -Corpus Christi