[SML] Electrical Wire thru Pulleys

Jerry Durand jdurand at interstellar.com
Mon Sep 15 17:04:37 UTC 2014

For 12V you could suspend an item from two wires over two pulleys and
just run the power through them.  Things like this are done all the time
with track type lighting.

I even have a halogen desk lamp where the power is run through the metal
support arm...make sure you don't drape tinsel over it at the holidays.  :)

On 09/15/2014 09:49 AM, Johnson, Philip via Stagecraft wrote:
> Are your objections to running wire through a pulley,  hanging a lantern by its wire or both?
>
> You could rig a 12v relay and run the lantern remotely.   I've used a 12 v relay unit from Amazon and a re-purposed 12v tool battery to drive lamps that had to be run remotely.   Kill two birds,  power and switch the lamp,  hang by a sturdy and appropriate cord.
>
> Some people might propose that it makes little difference if it's only a 12v line but it only takes one short to ruin your day.  Last time I hung fixtures in our black box I used the extension cord reels to raise and lower the power and a line to hold the fixture.   They were 120 v but they worked like a charm.  Had to open up the unit and loosen the spring a bit so it would drop nicely but it was an easy fix.   The weight of the fixture ( household dining room style light) was supported on the drop line and not the power line.   Much safer (although bulkier) than running power through a pully.

tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
Skype:  jerrydurand