[SML] Thermo plastics

will.thompson at louisville.edu will.thompson at louisville.edu
Mon Sep 15 18:30:28 UTC 2014

ok, i tried to send this last week, but for some reason, it came out in random letters and i'm not sure why:

Hello everyone,​

My name is Will Thompson, and I am new to this mailing list, so I just wanted
to introduce myself. i joined the mailing list as a part of my intro to stagecraft
class at U of L. In my free time, I get into costuming and prop design/
creation, so a lot of my questions will probably be on one of those subjects.
most of my experience is with cosplaying, but the costuming and prop-making
requirements are pretty much the same.

I have recently started working with polypropylene (clear storage bins from
walmart) as a cheap alternative to other thermoplastics that is a lot more
accessible. A friend of mine showed me that you can use a wood burning pen
to fuse the edges of the plastic together like welding and its really easy to do.
(we checked it out with the company and with chemical engineers, it is not
harmful unless you constantly breathe it for a very long time in a single sitting)

My question is: has anyone ever done/heard of work done with polypropylene?
also, does anyone know a way to color it? I know its pretty inert, but maybe
something like contact paper/shelf liner or if there is a way to make it hold paint?

Thanks,
Will Thompson​