[SML] Thread projection

Richard Niederberg ladesigners at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 00:17:45 UTC 2014

Dear Bill,
The '5 second rule' applies where you drop food on the ground and how
quickly you have to get the item in your mouth after dropping it. If
you can't get it in your mouth in 5 seconds, you have to throw the
dropped item away.
/s/ Richard
_________

On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 4:07 PM, Bill Sapsis via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
> Loren.  I appreciate what you are trying to do but there are no
> entertainment Standards that provide the information you want.
>
> Stuart.  5 second rule?  Really?  No such rule.   The ONLY rule you must
> follow when crimping swage fittings is to check the crimp with the proper
> go/no-go gauge.
>
> Bill S.
> http://www.sapsis-rigging.com
> Bill at sapsis-rigging.com
> +1.215.228.0888 ext 206
> +1.267.278.4561 mobile
>

> On 9/18/14, 6:59 PM, "Stuart Wheaton via Stagecraft"
> <stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
>
>>On 9/18/2014 3:23 PM, Loren Schreiber via Stagecraft wrote:
>>>
>>> I believe common practice in theatre is 1.5 to 3 threads, but I'm not
>>> sure how much weight that carries with lawyers and such.  What say you
>>> all?
>>>
>>> Loren
>>>

>>With a nylock, you have to pass through it for it to work, with a
>>lockwasher, you have to crush it so it grabs and that does not require
>>going all the way through the nut.  As far as passing less than all the
>>way through, perhaps we need destructive testing to tell us what the
>>loss of strength is.  But if the nut cannot work loose it doesn't matter
>>how far it passes beyond the nut.  It's probably a lot like the 5 second
>>rule for nicopress swages, you want to be sure the nut is on all the
>>way, or the tool is fully closed, beyond that it doesn't seem to matter
>>exactly how far or how long. The comments about lighting poles seems to
>>apply to bolts and nuts in the 1-2 inch diameter range that are bedded
>>in concrete and cannot be easily replaced with a proper length, that is
>>rarely a theatre situation.
>>
>>Stuart

/s/ Richard
_________