[SML] Thread projection

Steven Hood shood_td at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 19 22:46:42 UTC 2014

I would guess that, for self-locking (Nylocks, especially) that they (any manufacturer) would try to limit how many turns the nylon (or whatever the lock) is subjected to, as the locking tension would be diminished by over-use. I've seen nylocks worn out from use so that the nylon doesn't even engage the threads. I've also seen captive lock washers (the toothed variety) smashed under so much torque that they flatten out and fall off when the nut is removed later for some adjustment to the assembly...
That's just my tuppence,
Steven R Hood